Stewart C

DVD Not Not Playable Using Media Player

Question

I successfully burned and played recorded TV using a prior version of Roxio Easy Media Creator.

After upgrading to Version 9, I produced a DVD, but it will not play on Windows Media Player on the computer which created it (Other DVDs will play). It will play on other computers and on the DVD player attached to my TV.

This was true for Media Center 10 and Media Center 11, which I installed, hoping to solve the problem.

Any ideas?

15 answers to this question

I successfully burned and played recorded TV using a prior version of Roxio Easy Media Creator.

After upgrading to Version 9, I produced a DVD, but it will not play on Windows Media Player on the computer which created it (Other DVDs will play). It will play on other computers and on the DVD player attached to my TV.

This was true for Media Center 10 and Media Center 11, which I installed, hoping to solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Roll back to version 9 WMP? I have no use for additional DRM, so I never updated from version 9 to version 10.

Oops. Just noticed you said Windows Media Center 10, not Windows Media Player 10.

Edited by grandpabruce

what happened when you tried to play the DVD with WMP 10/11? If the DVD is playable by a set top player as well as on other computer, the DVD was created successfully by Creator 9...

Any ideas?

Do you still have V8 on your computer? Are you getting an error message in WMP about a codec? Also

try this for trouble shooting. Open Digital Media Experience in V9. Insert the DVD in one of your drives and try to play it using the DVD option. Do you get an error message about a codec?. If so, you may have to remove both EMC versions from your computer, clean your registry and then reinstall EMC 9.

(Voice of Experience)

Similar problem here.

I've never had any prior version of EMC, but using EMC9 (Media Import // MyDVD) I've burned a project twice that results in a disc not reported/playable in the same machine (once directly, and once to an image then via DiscCopier to disc). I can't read the disc via Windows Explorer, nor can I play it with WMP 10, WinDVD 5, or Digital Media Experience 3.500.355B66A

I'm running into a fair number of bugs, hangs, crashes, etc. with EMC9 since getting it this week. This one is weird though (At least since I don't know why it's happening). The discs are read/played by my IBM thinkpad T42 DVD player and my set-top sony DVD player just fine.

The desktop can't "see" the disk contents after reboot, either for the most part. I can see disc info using VSO Inspector though and DVDinfo Pro.

My desktop machine with EMC9 is an HP Pavilion a810n (Athlon 64 3300+) 1.81 GHz, 1 GB RAM, SP2 XP Home, HP DVD writer 630c (CH16 firmware).

Similar problem here.

I've never had any prior version of EMC, but using EMC9 (Media Import // MyDVD) I've burned a project twice that results in a disc not reported/playable in the same machine (once directly, and once to an image then via DiscCopier to disc). I can't read the disc via Windows Explorer, nor can I play it with WMP 10, WinDVD 5, or Digital Media Experience 3.500.355B66A

I'm running into a fair number of bugs, hangs, crashes, etc. with EMC9 since getting it this week. This one is weird though (At least since I don't know why it's happening). The discs are read/played by my IBM thinkpad T42 DVD player and my set-top sony DVD player just fine.

The desktop can't "see" the disk contents after reboot, either for the most part. I can see disc info using VSO Inspector though and DVDinfo Pro.

My desktop machine with EMC9 is an HP Pavilion a810n (Athlon 64 3300+) 1.81 GHz, 1 GB RAM, SP2 XP Home, HP DVD writer 630c (CH16 firmware).

IE 7 on your computer? If so roll back to IE 6. Several parts of the program need to be registered before use and it won't do so in either the beta or the RC 1 for IE 7. Several people have reported that they could reinstall IE 7 after the registration takes place. It may take several uses of the program for it to register.

IE 7 on your computer? If so roll back to IE 6. Several parts of the program need to be registered before use and it won't do so in either the beta or the RC 1 for IE 7. Several people have reported that they could reinstall IE 7 after the registration takes place. It may take several uses of the program for it to register.

I've never loaded IE7 on this desktop computer - I'm running 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

thanks - Aaron

I've never loaded IE7 on this desktop computer - I'm running 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

thanks - Aaron

Thanks.

Both computers have IE6.

To me, the strange thing about this issue is that the DVD seems to play anywhere except on the computer that produced it.

Have you activated the MPEG2 codec in EMC9 yet?

Upgrade for Stewart C may be a different matter than for my fresh install of boxed EMC9 - I assume I have obtained codec access when I first loaded, registered, updated EMC9. I've never gotten any warning screens etc.

Seems like MPEG2 codec support would be an integral piece of of MyDVD functionality.

Where would this be broken out for action or examined for status?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RE: Above - I saw link in other post for Windows tool to check installed MPEG2 codecs:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...Powa5wnpw%3d%3d

It looks like the codecs are there.

This utility shows the following installed and selected as defaults:

3304myh.jpg

Thanks much - Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Unfortunately your picture does not show which one is selected as default (that would be the one with a tick in the Preferred decoder column which is off screen to the right). Also none of the ones shown appear to be compatible with both WMP and MCE.

You could try the Cyberlink codecs (unfortunately $15). Those are compatible with both WMP 8/9/10 (and 11 beta) and MCE. They are the ones I got with PowerDVD 7, but you can get them with PowerDVD SE and install just the codecs if you don't want another player.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/cyberstore/order_10_ENU.html

Unfortunately your picture does not show which one is selected ... <snip>

Actually, the codecs are not my concern, (none are preferred for WMP10) as long as the ones that power EMC9 are there - what concerns me is that I can't see stuff I've just created:

Why do discs burned with EMC9 not show up in explorer, etc. on the very same machine that burns them, while being recognized, explorable, and playing just fine in other machines. I can't even see what's on that disc.

ie: 2mypy0o.jpg

Why do discs burned with EMC9 not show up in explorer, etc. on the very same machine that burns them, while being recognized, explorable, and playing just fine in other machines. I can't even see what's on that disc.

That indicates that Windows is not refreshing the drive contents. It is usually cured with a firmware update for the drive.

You could also check in device manager, see if the optical drive has gone into PIO mode (which it may do after a certain number of bad blocks and the like). When that happened to my DVD ROM drive, I found that Windows seemed to treat it as a CD drive and could not read DVDs. In fact the icon in Windows Explorer changed from DVD drive to CD drive, which is also what your picture shows.

It depends on on your system setup, but probably the optical drives will be on the secondary IDE channel. If you view devices by connection and explore by clicking on the +es you will find the controller and channel the drive is on. Double click on the relevant IDE channel to open its properties, then Advanced settings tab, will tell you what mode the drive is in. If it is in PIO mode and you need assistance to get it back into Ultra DMA mode, please post back.

Edited by jeanrosenfeld

Thanks to you both for the suggestions, but I'm afraid I'm still at a loss.

Interestingly, it seems that the drive has never had a region set for it - can anyone let me know if that would contribute to this issue? Is there any advantage to actually specifying a region? It tells me "5 changes left before permanent."

That indicates that Windows is not refreshing the drive contents. It is usually cured with a firmware update for the drive.

Unfortunately, I have already previously updated the firmware to the latest release (CH16) and that doesn't solve it.

You could also check in device manager, see if the optical drive has gone into PIO mode <snip>

It is on secondardy IDE but it's running in Ultra DMA 2

482gok0.jpg

Thanks again for everyones help - Aaron

Thanks to you both for the suggestions, but I'm afraid I'm still at a loss.

Interestingly, it seems that the drive has never had a region set for it - can anyone let me know if that would contribute to this issue? Is there any advantage to actually specifying a region? It tells me "5 changes left before permanent."

Unfortunately, I have already previously updated the firmware to the latest release (CH16) and that doesn't solve it.

It is on secondardy IDE but it's running in Ultra DMA 2

482gok0.jpg

Thanks again for everyones help - Aaron

I surprised the drive works if you did not select a Region. I had to select a region before my opticals would work.