Emc 8 - Mydvd - Encoding Freezes 43% In The Menu

dfife0@comcast.net

Question

Every time I Encode my project in MyDVD it encodes all videos and slideshows but it always halts at 43% of encoding the Menu. This is of course, hours later - it does this every time. I changed to Hardware Rendering and I burned the project to file .iso, still halts at the same time. If I cancel, then the ISO file has all my slideshows and video, but NO menu. The other glitch I cannot figure out is that all my slideshows with background audio, play perfectly on the computer. But when I was able to burn them (w/o the Menu) the audio skips at the beginning and end (the blank slides). I have already burned up 6 DVD's that are screwed up, can anyone help??? My guess is that I am pushing the processor beyond what it can handle...

System: ASUS A7V8X-X AMD AnthlonXP 2400+ 2.00 GHz

60 GIG HDD 7200 RPM

512 MEG of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 32 MEG video card

Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

9 answers to this question

Hey there, another thing you can try (if you have not already) is play your .ISO file in a virtual drive. Under Tools in the Roxio home menu there is a feature to 'Load Disc Image'. You can step through this and create a virtual dvd player and view your .ISO file before actually burning it to disk. It may be interesting to see if thi ISO file looks fine but the actual dvd is messed up....just a thought.

mike

Thanks Mike, I'll give that a try when I get home from work

Every time I Encode my project in MyDVD it encodes all videos and slideshows but it always halts at 43% of encoding the Menu. This is of course, hours later - it does this every time. I changed to Hardware Rendering and I burned the project to file .iso, still halts at the same time. If I cancel, then the ISO file has all my slideshows and video, but NO menu. The other glitch I cannot figure out is that all my slideshows with background audio, play perfectly on the computer. But when I was able to burn them (w/o the Menu) the audio skips at the beginning and end (the blank slides). I have already burned up 6 DVD's that are screwed up, can anyone help??? My guess is that I am pushing the processor beyond what it can handle...

System: ASUS A7V8X-X AMD AnthlonXP 2400+ 2.00 GHz

60 GIG HDD 7200 RPM

512 MEG of RAM

Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

If it halts at the same place, then it would seem that there is something there that is killing it.

It is possible that your PC is overheating but I doubt it would be repeatable.

Two other things jump out: Most of us burn to File to save re-rendering time if a second disc is desired later. (this assumes successful rendering)

Using RW media in conjunction with burn to file sure saves a lot of money…

Please give us an update. I am experiencing this exact problem.

Well, after downloading the update for my old video card, changing back to software rendering, and viewing the .ISO file in a virtual DVD drive (which it worked perfectly), I then was able to burn to DVD perfectly - 3 times. Now, I tried to burn one more DVD this morning (I just left the program open overnight and did not change anything), and the "drag to disc" crashed and I had to CTL+ALT+DEL to end the unresponsive program. But I got 3 good DVD's last night and I hope to get the 4th one tonight - THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP!!!!!!

If it halts at the same place, then it would seem that there is something there that is killing it.

It is possible that your PC is overheating but I doubt it would be repeatable.

Two other things jump out: Most of us burn to File to save re-rendering time if a second disc is desired later. (this assumes successful rendering)

Using RW media in conjunction with burn to file sure saves a lot of money…

That's what I did after reading other persons problems - I burn to file which is ".ISO" format, in fact I am trying again becuase I am Irish stubborn and will not give up until I have it right... Now I do not have RW media for my DVD's I do have Light Scribe DVD's that are just -R

That's what I did after reading other persons problems - I burn to file which is ".ISO" format, in fact I am trying again becuase I am Irish stubborn and will not give up until I have it right... Now I do not have RW media for my DVD's I do have Light Scribe DVD's that are just -R

Until you successfully create the iso file there really is not much point in worrying about burning to a DVD. As James has suggested, it seems there is something wrong with the video at the failure point. Can you use Videowave to Output to DVD mpeg file? That might pinpoint the problem.

If your video card memory is only 32MB that could also be a problem. How much free space do you have on that 60GB hard drive?

System: ASUS A7V8X-X AMD Anthlon™XP 2400+ 2.00 GHz

60 GIG HDD 7200 RPM

512 MEG of RAM

Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

That video card does look like it may be an older one, and could be the cause of the problem, as others mentioned. I would suggest checking to make sure you have the latest driver updates for it, and if that doesn't do it, it may be time for a new one.

You can get the latest driver for it here (make sure to read the install hints first):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html

Until you successfully create the iso file there really is not much point in worrying about burning to a DVD. As James has suggested, it seems there is something wrong with the video at the failure point. Can you use Videowave to Output to DVD mpeg file? That might pinpoint the problem.

If your video card memory is only 32MB that could also be a problem. How much free space do you have on that 60GB hard drive?

Thanks for the advice, there is 40 GB free on the HDD, last night I changed the rendering back to Software and it completed the .ISO project. I then burned that to the DVD, and the "Menu" was completely missing... But the audio for the slideshows played correctly from beginning to end (I just removed the blank slides where the audio used to skip). What I don't understand is that the complete Project behaves perfectly on the computer, it is just when I proceed to burn to .ISO or straight to DVD that these strange anomolies occur, it probably is the old video card...

That video card does look like it may be an older one, and could be the cause of the problem, as others mentioned. I would suggest checking to make sure you have the latest driver updates for it, and if that doesn't do it, it may be time for a new one.

You can get the latest driver for it here (make sure to read the install hints first):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html

Thanks Larry, when I get home from work I will download and update the driver. Maybe that will fix the problem....

Thanks for the advice, there is 40 GB free on the HDD, last night I changed the rendering back to Software and it completed the .ISO project. I then burned that to the DVD, and the "Menu" was completely missing... But the audio for the slideshows played correctly from beginning to end (I just removed the blank slides where the audio used to skip). What I don't understand is that the complete Project behaves perfectly on the computer, it is just when I proceed to burn to .ISO or straight to DVD that these strange anomolies occur, it probably is the old video card...

Thanks Larry, when I get home from work I will download and update the driver. Maybe that will fix the problem....

Hey there, another thing you can try (if you have not already) is play your .ISO file in a virtual drive. Under Tools in the Roxio home menu there is a feature to 'Load Disc Image'. You can step through this and create a virtual dvd player and view your .ISO file before actually burning it to disk. It may be interesting to see if thi ISO file looks fine but the actual dvd is messed up....just a thought.

mike

Archived